Event: IFT18 – A Matter of Science + Food, July 15-17, 2018
Why were you there?
The Dayton Region has a strong Food & Agriculture industry (Cargill, Tate & Lyle, Bob Evans, Golden Fresh Farms, BrightFarms, Mama Rosa’s, Conagra Foods, The Fremont Company and many others). There are more than 60 Food & Ag companies employing over 9,500 people in the 12 county Dayton Region.
Who did you meet?
Justin Farmer and I met with several companies looking to expand their presence. A few of them were international companies wanting to establish a presence in the United States for the first time.
Top 5 things you learned:
- The Food & Ag industry has tons of sub-industries. From food technology to supplements to flavoring to brewing to chemistry and more, all were represented at the show.
- The Food industry is heading in the direction of personal customization to fit each person’s needs. This could lead to more availability of healthier food options
- If you want to attract attention to your booth, have a former NFL Super Bowl Champion sign and give away footballs.
- Plant-based food alternatives including meat and pasta, as well as drink enhancers providing additional nutritional supplementation.
- Make sure to order the Firecracker Shrimp at Howell’s and Hood.
Bonus: Don’t forget to pack your dress shoes!